Skip to main content
Students working a modern classroom in the Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center.

Getting Started

How to Register With ADS

Welcome to ADS! Our office works with undergraduate and graduate students to determine reasonable disability accommodations during your tenure at the University of Maryland. Below you will find information on how to start the process of establishing accommodations.

Complete a Registration Application

Registration Process

ADS disability specialist working in her office


Meet with a disability specialist to discuss your situation and/or get answers to your questions about eligibility and reasonable accommodation(s).

Schedule a consultation appointment
Testudo statue in front of McKeldin Library at sunrise.

How to Register

Undergraduate and graduate students begin the process by completing the Registration Application to receive disability accommodations.

Steps to apply for accommodations
close up of student taking notes using a pencil and paper

Documentation Guidance

As part of the interactive accommodation process, we collect information from multiple sources about your disability, lived experience, and the barriers encountered.

Guidance on disability-related documentation

Students in a socially-distanced classroom wearing masks in Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center.

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students (freshman - senior year) at the University of Maryland who have a documented disability can apply for reasonable accommodations, including placement exams, coursework, residential housing, and student work experiences.

Establishing accommodations in the university setting is individualized and is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Your accommodations will be established during the registration process and can be updated at any time. Consultation appointments with disability specialists are available to discuss your questions and concerns.

How we work with undergrads
students working in a chemistry lab wearing goggles and white lab coats

Graduate Students

The graduate student experience varies for each individual depending on their program of study and area of expertise. Graduate students may need accommodations within multiple settings; including but not limited to coursework, comprehensive exams, thesis/dissertation, and clinical and assistantship placements.

Accommodations are determined during the registration process and on an individual basis. Set up a consultation appointment with a disability specialist to discuss any unique circumstances.

How we work with grad students

Joining the UMD Community

Transitioning to UMD

Learn how to transition accommodations from other institutions/high schools and set up accommodations at UMD 

More info on transitioning to UMD

Visiting Students

Discover how to register with ADS if you're completing a course or program at Maryland but not seeking to obtain a degree

More info for visiting students

student working at her desk in a decorated residence hall room with a large window

Housing Accommodations

To request housing accommodation(s) for a disability, chronic health condition, or another medical issue(s): 

  1. Apply for housing with the Department of Resident Life 
  2. Register with ADS and express intent for housing accommodations
  3. Complete the Accommodated Housing Form and submit relevant disability documentation to ADS

three community assistants behind a service desk

Student Workplace Accommodations

Graduate and undergraduate students often complete hands-on work experiences during their time at UMD. This can include a variety of areas including, but not limited to: assistantships, internships, clinical rotations, student teaching, fieldwork, and on-campus hourly positions.

Check out the Workplace Accommodation section of our website to learn more about how ADS works with you in this setting.

Requesting Workplace Accommodations

Get in Touch

Back to Top